About The Role
We are a growing engineering team that likes to move fast and experiment. You’ll be responsible for owning, maintaining and evolving the infrastructure of our backend systems. You are familiar with Git, AWS, Ruby, Postgres, Docker and more. This is an entirely remote position, but you’ll work closely with the founders and other team members to help plan, create and launch SMS, mobile, and web based tools that help make independent business owners’ lives easier.
As an early member of the engineering team, you will be working with a fast-paced team to help develop our tools and systems for our customers.
You are entrepreneurial, self-motivated, and independent. You are excited to get in early on a growing team, and you're eager to meaningfully contribute while taking ownership of work and projects. You are decisive and able to move fast. You have strong opinions but aren't dogmatic. You are curious and open to learning through experimentation.
You care about the business implications of the tools you build and maintain, and you understand the balance between craft, speed, and the bottom line. You bring your real-life experiences and ethics with you to work to guide your understanding that software is built first and foremost for real people to use and make their lives, as well as their communities, better.
You are driven by accountability, ownership, collaboration, and creativity. You are kind and empathetic. You love building great experiences and care deeply about the customer experience. You understand the importance of shipping and continual improvement through iteration.
- Building and setting up new development tools and infrastructure
- Working on ways to automate and improve development and release processes
- Testing and examining code written by others and analyzing results
- Ensuring that systems are safe and secure against cybersecurity threats
- Identifying technical problems and developing software updates and ‘fixes’
- Working with team members to ensure that development follows established processes and works as intended
- Planning out projects and being involved in project management decisions
- Build tools to reduce occurrences of errors and improve customer experience
- Help perform root cause analysis for production errors
- Investigate and resolve infrastructure issues
- Design procedures for system troubleshooting and maintenance
- Ability to work independently or in a small group when needed
Currently considering candidates within a 3-hour difference from CST only.
Must be great at communication (fluent in English). Written communication is key given the async mode prevalence in our communication and working style.
Bonus points if:
- you have backend, web, iOS and/or Android experience
- you have an active side project / business
- you are an active part of the creator and/or sharing economy
- have experience running your own freelance or contracting business
For those that are interested in full time, we will most likely start you out with a contracting project or two. This will help you and us determine if we are a good fit for you, but also allows you to "dog food" our tools as a freelancer while allowing you the ability to get familiar with our existing tools and systems.
To apply, please send an email with the subject line "Able - DevOps Engineer" that includes your resume to: email@example.com Feel free to also reach out to learn more.